April 20, 2018

Thuggish groom savagely punched TWO bridesmaids at his OWN wedding

A GROOM violently lashed out at two bridesmaids his own wedding, causing one to require reconstructive surgery on her cheekbone.

ohn Paul Campbell, 27, savagely punched Samantha Dewar “full in the face” in an “unprovoked attack”, leaving her needing a metal plate in her cheek.

Ms Dewar, the best friend of Campbell’s wife, fractured her cheekbone following the incident in Masonic Hall’s carpark, in Macclesfield, Cheshire.

The 27-year-old first had a bust-up with another bridesmaid at the reception on September 13 last year.

As the scuffle turned sour Campbell punched the bridesmaid in the back while Ms Dewar intervened to try and calm down the situation.

Macclesfield Magistrates’ Court heard evidence from prosecutor Debbie Byrne who described the feud as “an unprovoked attack”.

She added: “It was the defendant’s wedding and the complainant was the bridesmaid. The male got into an argument with another female witness.

“She strikes him and he strikes her. The complainant approached the groom from behind and was shouting and he turned around and without warning punched her to the face, knocking her to the ground.”

Lisa Morton, Defending, said: “It’s a one punch scenario. It’s a serious matter and there’s no getting away from that.

Following the hearing, Ms Dewar said she has not spoken to the bride since the incident in September.

She said: “We’ve been best friends since school and I helped her get ready for the wedding. I can’t believe what’s happened, I’ve lost my best friend.

“It’s been a nightmare. Everyone was having a nice time at the reception and it was at the end outside in the car park when it happened.

“He punched me in the face out of nowhere and knocked me to the floor. It was all so quick and all I can remember is waking up on the floor in agony.

“I couldn’t open my eye. The swelling was awful and I couldn’t feel my face. I still can’t feel down the side of my face and just hope it will get better.

“I’m more nervous of people now and it’s affected my confidence. I’ve been scared to go out and be alone in the house. It was such a forceful punch and it’s scary to think what could have happened.”

Campbell pleaded guilty at the magistrates court and is due to be sentenced at Chester Crown Court.

Related posts