When Gov. Mike Pence ordered a halt to resettlement activities after the deadly attacks in Paris, the family were due to arrive in Indiana police Thursday but were diverted.
SOUTH BEND, IND.—A Syrian family that fled the war-torn country in 2011 was welcomed Wednesday to its new home of Connecticut after Indiana officials objected to plans for the refugees to resettle in their state.
The married couple and their 5-year-old son had been living as refugees in Jordan and been waiting three years to resettle in the United States. They were scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis Thursday but were diverted when Gov. Mike Pence ordered state agencies to halt resettlement activities after the deadly attacks in Paris.
Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said he personally greeted the family upon their arrival Wednesday in New Haven.
“I have to say they were absolutely wonderful and charming folks,” Malloy said at a news conference. “I told them that people in the United States are generous and good people but sometimes things happen elsewhere that cause people to forget about their generosity, forget about their native warmth and spirit.”
Indiana is among the more than half of states, most of them with Republican governors, that have objected to the arrival of the Syrian immigrants without assurances of proper security measures in place. The Indiana Family and Social Services Administration sent letters Tuesday to Exodus Refugee Immigration Inc. in Indianapolis and Catholic Charities Indianapolis saying plans to accept two Syrian families should be halted.