October 23, 2016

‘Sicario 2’ Is Happening. Who Will Return?

Sicario 2

Producers of the 2015 movie confirmed that a sequel was in active development and the original cast were all on board.

Emily Blunt’s war against drug cartels is not over. A sequel to last year’s “Sicario” is in “full development” with original cast members such as Blunt, Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin are set to return.

The film’s producers Molly Smith, Trent Luckinbill and Thad Luckinbill confirmed the sequel during an interview with THR. “We’re in full development with the studio. I just got a draft and we’re really excited,” Smith said. “Sicario 2” will be written by Taylor Sheridan, the actor who also wrote the first film.

Confirming the returning cast, Luckinbill said, “We can’t reveal the plot, but you’ll see [Blunt, Del Toro and Brolin] all come back. You have such a great character with Benicio, who was as dark as he was and still so loved. That character resonates so well with audiences. People want to know what happened to him, so it’s a perfect foray for us to explore.”

However, Luckinbill said Denis Villeneuve was not yet attached to return. “Obviously we would love it if Denis could [direct]. He’s a busy man, but he’s certainly part of the process with us right now,” he said.

A drama thriller, “Sicario” was nominated for three Oscars and grossed $80 million worldwide over $30 million budget. It follows Blunt’s idealistic FBI agent who is enlisted by an elite government task force official to aid in the escalating war against drugs. The pic was without its controversy. Juarez mayor Enrique Serrano was unhappy with how producers depict his city as a lawless and violent place in the movie.

Related posts