The creative team behind the first movie is hard at work developing the sequel, 20th Century Fox co-chairman Stacey Snider says.
Although it’s no rocket science, a sequel of “Deadpool” is officially in the works with Ryan Reynolds attached. The report of “Deadpool 2” had emerged in February but a formal announcement was only made at the CinemaCon on Thursday, April 14.
20th Century Fox co-chairman Stacey Snider delivered the good news to theater owners, saying, “We have really exciting news to share: The entire creative team, including director Tim Miller and producer Ryan Reynolds, are hard at work on a Deadpool sequel.” According to USA Today, Snider also noted that the R-Rated superhero movie was “a true paradigm-shifter”.
The first film’s scribes Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are back writing for the second film. The original, which opened during Valentine’s Day weekend, earned $132 million domestically and $757.3 million worldwide.
Miller recently said at the “Deadpool” Blu-ray release press day that he and producer Simon Kinberg were actively “trying to build bridges” with the Marvel to cross Spider-Man’s world. Kinberg said, “With all of the deals that have recently started happening, we asked if they could get visitation rights to Sony’s friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. I would love to see it. Both of us are close with [Marvel’s] Kevin [Feige], we respect and love Kevin. If it were even remotely possible, we will find a way ’cause we would love to see it.”
Fox previously announced that they had booked October 6, 2017 and January 12, 2018 for untitled Marvel films. “Deadpool 2” is likely to take one of the dates.