October 21, 2016

Mali terror attack: more than three suspects hunt by armed forces

More than three suspects had been hunting by Malian security forces after islamic terrorists attacked a luxury hotel in the capital, killing 20 people plus two assailants, an army commander has said.

Malians awoke to a state of emergency after Friday’s assault in downtown Bamako that was claimed by an extremist group formed by notorious Algerian militant Moktar Belmoktar. The statement from al-Mourabitounes (the Sentinels) group was carried by al-Jazeera and said the assault was carried out with al-Qaida’s “Sahara emirate”.

“The search has started and I can tell you that we are looking for more than three people at the moment,” said Maj Modibo Nama Traore on Saturday.

The heavily armed assailants seized dozens of hostages at the hotel popular with foreigners, sparking a more-than-seven-hour siege by Malian troops backed by US and French special forces. More than 180 people were held before being freed by a combination of Malian and international special forces.

Related posts