October 21, 2016

Controversial decision for 2 boxing judges

Michael Conlan (IRL) of Ireland celebrates after winning his bout against Aram Avagyan (ARM) of Armenia. Photo: Reuters

Two of the three boxing judges involved in the controversial decision against Ireland’s world champion Michael Conlan were still at the Rio Olympics on Wednesday, official records show.

Earlier in the day amateur boxing’s world governing body said it had sent home an undisclosed number of officials after “less than a handful of decisions not at the level expected”.

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) acted after several aggrieved boxers and their trainers accused the organisation of either corruption or overseeing what one highly respected coach called some “crazy” judging decisions in Brazil.

Conlan launched a foul-mouthed tirade after his unanimous points decision defeat on Tuesday to Russia’s Vladimir Nikitin, saying he had been “robbed of my Olympic dream”, and most boxing experts agreed he had appeared to comfortably win the fight.

The judges in that contentious bout were Jones Kennedy Silva Do Rosario, Udeni Talik Bandara Kiridena and Mariusz Gorny.

Many had assumed they would be the ones to be dropped but the first two were back in action at the Olympics on Wednesday.

Conlan tweeted in reaction to the AIBA move: “Wow this says a lot about AIBA, sending judges home who ruin dreams, what happens to the people whose dream were ruined?”

Related posts