October 27, 2016

Chris Gayle launches defamation suit against media outlet

The Sydney Morning Herald’s front page reporting Chris Gayle alleged indecent exposure. Photo courtesy: Collected

It looks like he has had enough as the embattled West Indies cricket star Chris Gayle is set to take legal action against Fairfax Media following a front page story claiming he indecently exposed himself to a woman at last year’s World Cup.

‘Gayle has been in the spotlight following his ‘don’t blush baby’ comments to Channel Ten reporter Mel McLaughlin during a Big Bash League match in Hobart this week.

The Melbourne Renagades batsman was fined $10,000 and apologised for his comments, which were high criticised for being sexist’, reported TVNZ.

‘The morning after the match, Farifax Media’s Sydney Morning Herald and The Age published a front page story claiming during last year’s World Cup the 36-year-old Jamacian, wearing nothing but a towel, exposed himself to a woman in the SCG dressing rooms and said ‘are you looking for this?’.’

‘Fox Sports Australia reported Gayle had retained the services of high-profile lawyer Mark O’Brien.’

‘Cricketer Chris Gayle has strongly denied the allegations first published by Fairfax Media that he indecently exposed himself to a woman during last year’s World Cup in Sydney,’ Gayle’s management told Fox Sports in a statement.

‘Despite such denials, Fairfax Media continues to publish the false and defamatory allegations which have received widespread republication in media throughout the world.

‘As a result, Chris Gayle has retained Mark O’Brien, a leading Australian media lawyer, to immediately commence defamation proceedings against Fairfax Media.’

Related posts