Christmas songs can become repetitive. To help break the mold, here are 12 Christmas songs you didn’t know existed to get you in the holiday spirit.
- “Corner Store on Christmas” — Bowling For Soup
This song is a new take on the “12 Days of Christmas” classic, with Bowling For Soup suggesting what to buy at the corner store for the 12 days instead of five golden rings.
- “Christmas When You Were Mine” — Taylor Swift
Not only did Taylor Swift release a Christmas album just for Target back in 2007, but it had two original songs — one of which was this sad tune about Swift’s holiday season heartbreak. Guess it’s a good thing she learned to shake it off.
- “Christmas” — Leona Naess
Naess’ soft tune captures the feeling of the holiday season when you’re in love.
- “Christmas is Going to the Dogs” — Eels
This is a very different take on Christmas music, with the band Eels assuming the role of a dog during the Christmas season.
- “Boots” — The Killers
The Killers are no strangers to Christmas songs. Over the last 10 years, they’ve taken a contemporary approach to Christmas music. And with “Boots,” they take on the inner struggles people face about celebrating the holiday.
- “Christmas in L.A.” — The Killers (feat. Dawes)
This 2013 Killers Christmas song focused on the unordinary Christmas season in Los Angeles and Hollywood.
- “Maybe this Christmas” — Ron Sexsmith
Christmas has been known as a time for family members and loved ones to come back together. And this hit by Ron Sexsmith hits on that note perfectly.
- “Merry Christmas, Here’s to Many More” — Relient K
This early 2000s rock band may have hit its peak in 2006 with “Be My Escape,” but this holiday hit is an inspiring song for anyone feeling the holiday blues.
- “Christmas Lights” — Coldplay
Coldplay’s Christmas song is so Coldplay. It’s a soft, heartfelt tune that’s got romantic undertones.
- “Text Me Merry Christmas” — Straight No Chaser (feat. Kristen Bell)
This is a texting Christmas song for a texting age.
- “The Christmas Song” — The Raveonettes
It has the title of a Christmas classic, but this Raveonettes tune redefines Christmas music with this haunting song.
- “The Child with the Star on his Head” — Sufjan Stevens
To round out the list, here’s a softer tune from folk singer Sufjan Stevens, whose song reminds us of the true meaning of Christmas.